pumpkin pumpkins and gardening

Pumpkin and Halloween Links



Previous Posts

Archives

eXTReMe Tracker

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Friday, September 15, 2006

 

Gardening and my Allotment.

GARDENING

Since I left school I always was interested in growing plants and I went to college for about a year and gained a good qualification which was a BTEC First Diploma. I managed some how to pass all my coursework, in parts I found it difficult but got through it. My brother at the time also studied horticulture and was rewarded a BTEC First Diploma and His RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) Certificate. After our time at college we took some time off from studying and then started maintaining peoples private gardens for money which we needed. We did this for a couple of years and after a while we found business was getting low and after a while it stopped. So we turned to doing some work on the internet and have been doing so since.

ALLOTMENT

Now we spend more time on our allotments growing different types of vegetables, my allotment is quite ruff its what I call my lazey allotment. A lot of people turn there allotments into pristine clean gardens which is fine of course, but for myself aslong as my allotment isn't to over grown with weeds and produces what I want thats fine for me. In recent years me and my brother have started to grow winter onions and found we got a descent crop off them. Sometimes we would have our own competition to see who grows the best onions, sadly my winning streak hasn't been going to well. Never the less competition is healthy and fun and we both have been improving on our crops which im pleased of. One time I grew some winter red onions which didn't do anything at all appart from rot away, I wasn't to pleased. So from now on in its just winter whites we are growing. Im looking forward ro seeing my onions in the ground grewing this winter and I'll try and get a picture of them and place it on my blog :)



This here is a picture of my allotment I know it is some what over grown but since then I have been clearing and digging some of the beds for winter onions. So the next pic of my allotment should have onion beds in it. :)
# posted by Pumpkintastic @ 10:26 am